Thursday, October 11, 2012

Five-hundred fifty apples

Photo of organic jonagold apples by Floodllama, Flickr Creative Commons license.
**

Sometimes we just yearn to see things that aren't in our region. This weekend is the Harvest Festival at Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah, Iowa, and I'm a little envious that my friend G. is going.

After all, Seed Savers is an organization that preserves and showcases heirloom seed types, and on their 890-acre property in northeastern Iowa's limestone hills, they have 550 types of apples. That's a mind-boggling number of apples, for those of us who are impressed when we see, say, 25 types at a farmer's market.

Seed Savers has apples with names such as Fameuse, ‘Minkler Molasses, Swayzie, and Knobbed Russet. Isn't that worth the trip alone?

I've been interested in Seed Savers since I read Gathering: A Memoir, about the couple who started Seed Savers in their house in the late 1970s.

I'm hoping that G. will bring back some photos of apples! If anyone else is in the area, let me know about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!